Tuesday 22 April 2008

le scaphandre et le papillon

Everyday I go to the library and read a chapter of Jean-Dominique Bauby's book. The book he wrote by blinking his eye, letter by letter.

As a way of experiencing his efforts, I gave myself the task to have to work a little to get to read a little. I have to make my way to the library on bike every time to read a chapter. This way I experience reading the book as a thing I have to take my time for.

During my visits I have received the English version “The diving bell and the butterfly” which I won on eBay. Now I read a chapter every time, corresponding with the chapter I will have read prior in the Dutch version of the library (Vlinders in een duikerpak).

I am proud that I have found an inconsistency in the translations, and when I’m done reading both books, I will look up which is a more correct translation in the French version. The inconsistency I have found is that in the English version it reads: “Once I was a master at recycling leftovers”, while the Dutch version reads (translated) that “There is a thing like the art of making something of leftovers.”

My opinion for now is that the Dutch translator was being less keen on exact translation, but took a liberty in that. I think the first example can be found in the title translation. Literally translated it means butterflies in a diving suit.

Normally I wouldn’t go so far for a book, but because of the specific way it has been written, I believe it’s very normal to spend more time on it.

I have been going to the library several times now.

I don’t have a subscription.

I wonder sometimes if they would ask me if I am a member, but I feel that I can do this as much as I want without them probing me.

I’m also the only person in the building who knows that the real reason of my visit is a little out of the ordinary. It's like being a secret agent with a mission no-one must know about. The only difference is that my visit to the library is to sustain my relationship with a special person that basically only exists in the form of paper and ink.

My deepest sympathy, for this man.

No comments: