Monday 1 September 2008

My first Murakami

Image28(10x15)crop copy(7)
I just finished my first Murakami and now I see how well the pictures can correspond with the story I just read.

If you haven’t read Sputnik Sweetheart yet, I can tell you that it’s sublime. Murakami has a great knowledge of people and a way of making every bit as believable as necessary to keep reading.
Halfway, the book gets really scary. This reminds me of Miike Takashi’s ‘Audition’, which starts of as any other feature-film, but makes a sudden shift to intense horror later on. Though I wouldn’t call Murakami’s book a horror story in the conventional way, because there is no killing and such. It’s more a mystery which keeps you thinking.
And this is one thing I like about books. You get so much more information to think about; I seldom see a movie which really keeps me pondering.
If you read the book than you might have figured out what I mean with the pictures. But even if you don’t see it, it doesn’t matter, because my photography and stories usually don’t get along very well. Maybe it’s better to either describe a photo (without showing it) or show a story (without explaining it).

No comments: