Thursday 22 May 2008

My sister Mimmi

My sister hardly leaves the house. She likes to stay in her room most of the time. But when she gets out, it’s either for food or for television. On it she watches either a movie from the Movie1-channel or soccer from the Sport1-channel. They are from the same company that delivers digital television.
My sister knows everything about soccer. She definitely knows more than I do, and maybe she knows more than me and my brother’s knowledge combined.
If my sister isn’t watching TV, she will be behind the computer. Either working for her Spanish study or trying to satisfy her unquenchable thirst for knowledge.
I sometimes try to take her out. I then force her to take the bike and come along with me. To the shops in the centre, or on very few occasions I can take her to the museum.
The van Abbe is quite a big museum which has been expanded not too long ago. We went to see some art, and something with soccer if she would be lucky enough to encounter an artist’s work with that subject.
Stepping through the white cubes of different sizes we reached a particularly empty one, with a grey floor. The people in front of us walked steadily on without really looking at the work in this room. I couldn’t help staying, because the work was a person.
The person was lying on the floor. The moment she saw us, without looking directly at us, she got hope. As though standing for one second longer gave her the recognition and energy to perform her act. Maybe she waited a very long time to have another audience. I was proud to be a witness. She crawled over the floor, expressing agony and suffering.
What a beautiful feeling that she waited for who knows how long, to perform this especially for us.

My sister and I continued our path through the museum. From all the works, this was the one I remember from our visit that day. I guess she hasn’t forgotten either - even though I forgot if at that specific day there was a work about soccer - I’m still curious what her memory has imprinted from that day.

As I’m typing behind this computer in my school, I guess she is already home now, or in a few minutes. Either eating, watching TV or behind the computer.
If I had the chance to go home now, I would try to take her out.

No comments: